It’s time to lime your fields! Applying lime to forage, crops and soil in the fall will definitetly get you the most for your money. It have proven over the years to grow more abundant quantities of high-quality forages almost year round. Fall is the ideal time to take an inventory of how much lime your pastures and crop lands are going to need.
It takes aproximately six months for the lime to become active in the soil. By doing a fall application it ensures the pH will be correct and have the nutrients your ground needs for producing the most abundant crops and have the most luch forage growth next spring.
Benefits of Liming:
- Improves control of unwanted weeds with herbicide application.
- Physical Properties in the soil are improved.
- Increases fixation of nitrogen by the soild and plant organisms.
- Provides calcium and or magnesium to land.
- Corrects soil acidity by raising the pH.
- Increases the microbial decay process of organic material from plants and roots.
- Increases fixation of nitrogen by the plant and soil organisms.
- Reduces inorganic activity in the soil, preventing toxicity from excess aluminum and/or manganese.
A soil sample is the best way to determine exactly how much lime is needed for your specific area. History shows most soils in the southeast have a pH of 6 or less. Most crops and forages require a 6 to 6.5 to reach their maximum potential.
Smith Farm Supply offers soil sample services. Contact your
Smith Farm supply and our farm consultant will get your sampling set up.