It’s time to lime your fields! Applying lime to forage, crops, and soil will definitely get you the most for your money. It has proven over the years to grow more abundant quantities of high-quality forages almost year-round. Furthermore, Fall is the ideal time to take an inventory of how much lime your pastures and croplands are going to need.
It takes approximately six months for the lime to become active in the soil. By making a fall application it ensures the pH will be correct and have the nutrients your ground needs for producing the most abundant crops and have the lushest forage growth next spring.
Benefits of Liming:
- Improves control of unwanted weeds with herbicide applications.
- Physical Properties in the soil are improved.
- Increases the fixation of nitrogen by the solid and plant organisms.
- Provides calcium and or magnesium to land.
- Corrects soil acidity by raising the pH.
- Increases the microbial decay process of organic material from plants and roots.
- Increases the fixation of nitrogen by the plant and soil organisms.
- Reduces inorganic activity in the soil, thus, preventing toxicity from excess aluminum and manganese.
The best way to determine how much lime you need is with a soil sample. History shows most soils in the southeast have a pH of 6 or less. Also, most crops and forages require a 6 to 6.5 to reach their maximum potential.
Contact your Smith Farm Supply and get your lime application scheduled.